Roof maintenance tips in Orlando
You can reduce or minimize the cost of your roof repair if only you follow the maintenance tips for various kinds of roofs- asphalt shingles, wood or metal. Roofs made of different materials require a different kind of maintenance. However, regardless of the material used to make a flat or slanting roof, rain, snow, wind, debris, hail, and ice are the major factors behind damage and deterioration of roofs, especially in the city of Orlando, Mexico.
Whether you have a roof made of asphalt shingles, metals or wooden shakes, you can ensure that it not only lasts longer but keeps looking beautiful for years if only you follow the under mentioned roof maintenance tips.
General tips for roof maintenance
– Clean off any debris from your roof on a regular basis. In addition, you need to trim the tree branches that hang over your roof.
– Get professional roof repair specialists in Orlando to do a thorough inspection of your roof in early spring and late fall. This way you can replace loose shingles and cracked tiles before they allow any form of water damage to take place.
– Pay special attention to the flashings around vents, skylights, and chimneys while checking for any sign of damage that may cause danger to life and properties.
– Make it a point to clean gutters and downspouts every month so that they are not choked with leaves, sticks or other debris.
– Do not walk on the roof while conducting an inspection or some roof repair work. Use an extension ladder for the purpose.
– Do not commit the mistake of painting your shingles as it reduces their lifespan drastically and they start looking shabby in a few months’ time.
Roof Maintenance Tips for Asphalt Shingles
One of the most common problems of having an asphalt shingle roof is that it easily grows algae and moss the can cause moisture entrapment and hence resultant dampness and leaking. To prevent this from happening, you can install zinc control strips along the ridges and joints of the roof surface.
You can also check the problem of replacing missing shingles by applying some roofing cement under loose shingle tabs. Do not forget to check the caulking from time to time and keep the same debris free.
Roof Maintenance Tips for Wood Shakes
Wood shake roof maintenance calls for taking steps to prevent the growth of mold, rot, and insects that can cause considerable damage. In addition to that, do not forget to use a coat of waterproofing material and a spray-on fire retardant on the roof surface.